Thursday, August 20, 2015

Life and Times of the Unemployed Graduate

Currently being unemployed, I've had a lot of time to organize, sit, plan, dream, hope, and become extremely bored with my current situation. Of course it's extremely nice to not have the pressure of school bearing down on me anymore, however this lack of schedule has begun to get old!

It's been 4.5 weeks since I took boards and 4 full weeks since I found out I passed them! Yippee! No more studying for this girl! Of course that lasted about a week and then I realized I had fully run out of things to keep me occupied while everyone else is working, going to school, or generally progressing on in their lives while I'm stuck playing the waiting game.

Waiting on interviews, waiting on employment packets, waiting on California to process paperwork, waiting to take the law exam, waiting, waiting, waiting. And all the while being profoundly annoyed at not having anything productive to do. Of course I did the obligatory cleaning and purging of old, unnecessary school supplies. I organized my closet, my bookshelves, I've read books, done projects on Shutterfly, made food, hung out with anyone who has a minute of time to spare, and watched countless hours of Netflix. All the while having this insatiable desire to start my life again.

I feel as if I'm stuck in this limbo of time. Not a student anymore, but also not a full working grown-up. I'm somewhere in-between. Not a kid and yet not a contributing member of society either. I have many classmates who are going through the same thing, which is comforting and would be much nicer if we could be going through it together, but alas we are states apart joined only by text messages as to who is the most tired of sitting on their bum.

Regardless of this limbo, and rant that I've just had, I am truly trying to enjoy the down time. Logically speaking, this is the last chance I'll ever have to be truly On My Own, with no one to answer to, no school, no work, nothing. Last summer vacation I'll ever have. And with that comes a finality. A sadness. A sense of awe and wonderment, directed at leaving childhood completely behind. It's a strange feeling, one that isn't truly expressible. I'm trying to read as much as I can. Watch as much TV as I can handle and just truly be. Because I know, in a couple weeks, it will all be over. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment